Due to being close to running out of free posts on this blog I decided to set up a brand new blog for my third year of my degree. Please check out my new posts which will firstly feature my 10 week internship in sunny Malta and then my work over the last year of my degree.
Today I got to put my work up and participate in an exhibition. I’ve always enjoyed putting my work up and seeing it presented.
I’ve mounted the 2 coordinates and alternative 3 colour ways together. After putting it on the wall I feel like I should of have printed them bigger so you can see the detail better.
It is always rewarding seeing my repeat patterns on a product, this time I will be using photographs from hospitals. It was actually really hard to find good photographs with high restitution so some of the displacement mapping isn’t as successful as I hoped.
It was quite hard to find images of young children under the age of 10 so I decided to do young teenagers. First I have done the gowns and then I thought I would carry on with the socks. I am not as happy with this outcome.
I really liked this photograph, the patterns look quite good too. My favourite one is the middle one with red and orange swans repeat.
I really like this girl, even though she is in a hospital gowns she is smiling. This is a good photo for my collection. I tried two different repeats I think the red and orange one with swans suits it better. I have also changed the colour of the background because it looked a bit out of place around the hair and removed the logo.
I also like this girl because of her happiness. I tried putting a pattern on to a gown but the surface was too small so it didn’t look as effective so I’ve tried it on the bedding and I am quite happy with the outcome. I want to try out more interiors surfaces for displacement mapping.
I decided to do displacement mapping on to bedding. It looks good but I am not as happy with it as I expected to be.
I decided to move on from the bedding and try hospital curtains. First I’ve done the bottom right one but not all the patterns worked with each other and the order of the patterns didn’t work quite right. I really like the outcome on the left.
This year Summer show was very impressive. With many talented people all over the university I personally think (probably a bit biased) textiles was the best!
This work was amazing. I think it caught my eye because I am interested in kids also the I love how she put some of her samples in hoop. I love the use of hoops as I use hoops in a lot of my travel photography, I have even created my own hashtag page on Instagram.
I also like her designs and her hand painted motifs. I think it was creative to use hand made motifs and translate them in to repeat patterns digitally. I Liked her hanger racks as they were different than other people’s which made her stand out.
Another person I really liked was Roni Marshal. I have done all her headers so I had a really close look at her amazing work. She has been inspired by Japanese culture. Roni hand painted all the final designs then digitally print.
I think her collection works very well for interiors, she is a talented painted and her work translates well on cloth.
For my last submission I have designed detailed embroidery repeats and patches. They were produced on digital stitch machines.
After considering the cost and the time it would take to stitch out the meters and meters of fabric needed for the gowns I decided to just focus on print. Also I really like the patches but they would not be cost effective, I might however still include them in my exhibition.
Time to pick my final 6 design for the assessment and exhibition.
Half drop mirror flamingos + alternative colour ways.
Parrots all over
Random multi-colour flamingos
Mirror half drop swans + Coordinates small scale half drop flamingos
Parrots on leafs + Coordinates diamond parrots
Vertical line swans with faded background
This parrot all over designs is done a little bit differently than all the other designs. I just copied on the motifs at random to cover nearly all the page. I decided to leave some white bits so it’s not too dark. I faded the whole layer out which gave quite an interesting outcome which sadly wouldn’t work for my collection. This repeat turned out really dark so I’ve brighten it up a little bit.
I love the symmetry of this parrot and that it creates additional patterns in the negative spaces.
I like symmetry, I though if I draw straight lines in Photoshop but make them dip where the motif is it might look good. It didn’t, this I probably the worst outcome.
Parrot on leaves. I wanted to try doing a pattern that wasn’t so carefully thought out like the other ones. I really like this one and the link between parrots and leaves I’ve created. I’ve changed the opacity of the background to 80% and also moved the red parrot on the top leaf to the centre.